Friday 22 August 2014

Pink and purple club ruffle blankie

I've been plugging away at this blankie for what feels like months! It is crochet, so easy and quick in reality, but it feels like I've been working on it forever! I don't know if it is the row after row of half double crochet stitches, or the tedious ruffles, but this hasn't been a joy to put together. In fact, I wrote a little Haiku about it. For those of you who don't remember high school English class, a Haiku is a little poem that has five syllables in the first line, seven in the second and five in the last. 


 Luckily, it is super cute, so it makes up for the seemingly epic assembly time. 

This is put together with 120 half double crochet stitches and 100 rows. This makes a blankie that is about square. Then at every 10th row, I used a single crochet stitch to attach the ruffle made from Sashay yarn from Red Heart Yarn. 

You have to use a bit of a special technique to crochet with this stuff. To start, using the same yarn you made the blanket with, make a slip knot and make a single crochet stitch into the front loop of the first stitch of the desired row. Fold the first inch back over the ruffle yarn and insert the hook through the yarn, then put the hook through the front loop of the next crochet stitch on the blanket. Then yarn over with the blanket yarn and pull that through the ruffle yarn and through the loop on your hook. This leaves you with a nice ruffle above and below a single crochet stitch. You can fluff the ruffle to make it more even or pull some back under the single crochet if there is a portion that is too loose. I liked the look of a tighter ruffle, so when I inserted my hook through the ruffle yarn, I made sure it was folded over in two layers. Experiment and see what style you like best!

I love the colours and the ruffles, it is just the perfect amount of girlyness, perfect for a sweet little baby or a feisty toddler. I think I may put this into my etsy shop (The Homemade Heart Shop) as my first completed ready-to-ship item! 


No comments:

Post a Comment