Tuesday 29 July 2014

Weddings shoes and a dream come true!

My brother-in-law is getting married in less than two weeks, and his bride-to-be bought the cutest shoes to wear with her dress. They are lacy with a burlap bow, but the lining is orange with polka dots that don't quite match her wedding colours of purple and silver. 

The adorable shoes - before

She asked me if there was anything I could do to cover the inside up, because her photographer takes beautiful detail shots, including photos of her accessories, and she doesn't want the garish orange taking over the picture. I said I'd give it a try, and set to work brainstorming. 

I figured if I got a shoe liner and covered it with fabric, that should work well to block the orange lining. I bought the cheap, flat odour eater kind that you have to cut down to size. I trimmed them so they fit in the shoe with a little bit of extra space to accommodate the thickness of the fabric. I used some tan colour cotton fabric from my stash, and traced the liner cutouts with an extra 1/4 inch all the way around. 

I was about to start attaching the fabric to the liners when I had a spark of inspiration to include some embroidery to mark the special day. I traced the font from their invitations to spell their initials and found a complimentary font for the numbers for their wedding date for one shoe, and found a tulip that matched their invites for the other. 

The invite inspiration

I stitched everything in purple and silver to match their wedding colours. 



After the embroidery was complete, I centred and fixed the fabric to the liners using safety pins, and hand sewed all the way around the edges, tucking the fabric over and under the liner. 

The shoes look so cute now, and are picture perfect!  I gave them to the bride this morning and she loved them, although when the liners are in, the shoes are a little tight. She likely won't wear them with them in, but at least no one will see the orange! 

Before and after

The pair

Also, I ordered a set of 47" circular knitting needles a while ago. They were kind of out of sight, out of mind, but I had a dream last night about using them, and lo and behold, they arrived today!! Dream come true!! I can't wait to use these puppies; knitting two socks at once, here I come!!

Treasure trove of knitting needles!

No comments:

Post a Comment